Following one year at Transylvania University, a student with sophomore standing—and ready to declare a major—is eligible to complete a formal application and submit it to the Teacher Education Program. The student must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and disposition to become a teacher candidate.
Please review the criteria for program admission below. After teacher candidates are admitted to the program, they must maintain a 2.75 GPA in their education courses and their major courses. Teacher candidates also complete a four-week Practicum in their junior year and a semester-long student teaching experience in their senior year.
Review the Student Teaching Handbook for more information about this important requirement of our program.
Criteria for program admission
Minimum college GPA:
- 2.75 GPA cumulative
- 2.75 GPA education courses
- 2.75 GPA major/teaching area
Minimum Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators scores:
- Reading: 156
- Math: 150
- Writing: 162
- Formal entrance essay with application
- Interview with at least two education faculty members
- Informal essay at time of admissions interview
- Demonstration of critical thinking, communication, creativity, and collaboration skills
- Understanding of the disposition needed for the teaching profession
- Agreement to abide by the Professional Code of Ethics and knowledge of the character and fitness questionnaire contained in Section III of the TC-1 form (supplied by the program)
Criteria for certification
Upon satisfactory completion of all education and general education course requirements, with a minimum 2.75 GPA, candidates must also satisfy the following requirements in order to be recommended to the state of Kentucky for certification.
Transylvania University has not determined whether the Education program curriculum meets the educational requirements for certification or licensure in other states.
- Pass Student Teaching and receive a passing score on the Student Teacher Portfolio
- Pass Practicum and receive a passing score on the Practicum Folder of tasks
- Achieve the minimum passing scores on the required PRAXIS exam(s). (These differ for each certification.)