Keeping our community healthy is a top priority for Transylvania. While the coronavirus is dominating the news, as of today there are no reported or suspected incidents in Kentucky and just 11 cases in the United States.
We recognize the stress associated with an illness such as this. Resources are available to help.
- If you have questions about warning levels or travel plans, contact the Office of Global and Intercultural Engagement at 859-233-8125. All cities where our students are currently studying abroad are being monitored by this office, and all May term and summer travel course locations will be evaluated closer to departure time.
- If you have concerns about your health, please contact the university Health Clinic at 859-233-8127 or make an appointment online. Masks are available in the clinic for anyone wishing to wear one, and flu shots are still available for any member of the campus community. According to the Centers for Disease Control, there have been 6.4 million illnesses, 55,000 hospitalizations and 2,900 flu-related deaths in the United States during the 2019 and 2020 flu seasons. Testing is available in the clinic for the flu, mono and strep throat.
- If you are feeling anxious or have concerns, we encourage our students to reach out to our Counseling Center at 859-281-3682, and we encourage our employees to reach out to The Woodland Group at 859-255-4864.
We encourage everyone to take preventative steps to limit the spread of any illness on campus.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- It is especially important to wash your hands:
- Before, during and after you prepare food
- Before you eat and after you use the bathroom
- After handling cash
- More frequently when someone in your house is sick
- Before and after smoking or vaping
- Before and after using public computers
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with your arm.
- Frequently clean doorknobs, light switches and other commonly touched areas with disinfectant wipes.
- Avoid contact with people who are ill.
- Avoid sharing personal care items (cups, utensils, bedding, towels, etc.).
- Stay home from work or school if you are ill.
Moving forward, should we suspect any possible threat to our campus, we will provide further information to the community. For more information on this novel coronavirus, visit the CDC at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/index.html.