Pioneers pledge to embrace diversity, promote inclusion

Transylvania NCAA Inclusion Campaing
Transylvania #NCAAInclusion campaign

Throughout the week of Oct. 1 – 5, Transylvania’s students-athletes and coaches have lent their voice to a national effort to highlight diversity and inclusion in athletics. On the final day of the NCAA’s Diversity and Inclusion Week, Transy’s Pioneers are sharing their personal commitments to inclusive action.

“I pledge to never leave a teammate behind because they are more than just people on the same team, they are my brothers. They may not be blood, but they are family all the same,” said freshman tennis player Arjun Gupta.

“As a member of the women’s swim team, we pledge to create a culture of inclusion and welcoming athletes with different backgrounds.” said freshman exercise science major Ashleigh Richardson.

“As student-athletes we are given a natural leadership role,” said freshman men’s soccer player Jak Birdsong. “It is important that we use our leadership in a responsible way to help everyone in our community become the best versions of themselves.” 

“I pledge to treat all my teammates equally no matter who they are. I pledge to push my teammates to be better and do better no matter their backgrounds,” shared Madison Campbell, a sophomore on the women’s tennis team.

Sophomore psychology major RJ Johnston plays on Transy’s women’s lacrosse team. “As a team sport, it doesn’t matter what your background is or what your age is. when you step on that field you are all wearing the same jersey for your school,” Johnson said

A member of the Pioneer women’s soccer team was inspired by the university’s mascot when thinking about inclusion. 

To view others stories from the 2018 #NCAAInclusion campaign, click here.