Transylvania grad wins inaugural family law scholarship

headshot of a person

Transylvania University alumna Jessica Obi ’13 has received an inaugural scholarship encouraging Black law students to consider a career in family law.

The Bradford & Gordon Family Law Scholarship, created by both the Chicago firm it’s named after and the Black Women Lawyers’ Association of Greater Chicago, includes a cash award and professional development with attorneys.

After majoring in psychology and English at Transylvania, Obi earned a master’s in ethics from American University in Washington, D.C. — now she’s going into her second year at DePaul University College of Law. Bradford & Gordon noted her dedication to serving others.

“She has a deep commitment to family law, particularly as it relates to young children who are in vulnerable or challenging situations. Prior to law school, Obi served as a program coordinator with AmeriCorps VISTA at Chicago HOPES for Kids, a nonprofit organization that offers after-school programming for children living in homeless shelters. She also worked as a teaching assistant at Rice Education Center in Evanston, Illinois, where she was trained in therapeutic crisis intervention. Most recently she has volunteered with Ascend Justice, a nonprofit organization that offers vital services to families in need, including emergency orders of protection.”

Obi said: “In my work with Ascend Justice, I have been humbled to be able to provide what assistance I could to get our clients the help and protection that they needed. I know that I want to use my law degree to do meaningful work, and I am sure I can accomplish this through a career in family law.”

Bradford & Gordon, which focuses on divorce, matrimonial and family law, awards its new scholarship on merits such as professional and academic achievement.

“Jessica has proven that she is a committed, capable advocate for children and families, which is essential in our corner of the legal field,” said Mitch Gordon, founding partner of Bradford & Gordon. “We are honored to help her along her career path.”