Lauren Strohmeier ’08, to pursue a master’s in global politics at the London School of Economics and Political Science.

Lauren StrohmeierLEXINGTON, Ky.—Lauren Strohmeier ‘08, a political science major and history minor from Owenton, Ky., will pursue a master’s degree in global politics at the London School of Economics and Political Science beginning this fall.

When she came to Transylvania, her thoughts centered on domestic political concerns, but a study abroad experience with the Hansard Scholars Program in London and her Transy classes changed her perspective.

“I interned with a member of the British Parliament and really enjoyed it,” Strohmeier said. “That experience, and several of my classes with (political science professor) Dr. Freyman, changed my focus to international politics and issues.”

Strohmeier is looking forward to her London School of Economics experience as a way of narrowing her interests to a specific career goal.

“There’s a whole big spectrum of things I’m interested in right now, including economic issues in third-world countries and the strategizing and marketing of political candidates,” she said. “I also feel very compassionate about world poverty and what the rest of the world can do to help people in difficult situations.”