Recent Transylvania grad awarded prestigious scholarship to study archaeology

LEXINGTON, Ky.—Amber Noelle “Elle” Woolery, a recent graduate from Transylvania University, has been awarded the highly competitive Davies-Jackson Scholarship to study in the archaeology program at St. John’s College, Cambridge.

The scholarship will cover her full fees, plus living expenses for two years as she studies for a Cambridge B.A.—the equivalent of a U.S. graduate degree.

“I know that many students dream of educational opportunities such as this, so I’m honored and privileged to receive the Davies-Jackson Scholarship,” said Woolery, who is a preservation associate for the Blue Grass Trust for Historic Preservation. “I’m truly grateful for the support of my family, professors and the Transylvania Study Abroad staff.”

Woolery, who is from Lawrenceburg, graduated summa cum laude from Transylvania in December.

As a Transylvania student, she gained practical experience through fieldwork, including an excavation at Camp Nelson Civil War Heritage Park in Jessamine County.

To qualify for a Davies-Jackson Scholarship, applicants must be a first-generation student with a minimum 3.7 GPA. Woolery was interviewed via Skype by a group of St. John’s tutors from the faculty in Human, Social, and Political Sciences and received recommendations from Transylvania professors.

“It’s a great honor for Elle, and I’m very proud of her,” anthropology professor Chris Begley said. “She joins Transy students and students from our field schools studying maritime archaeology at Oxford, Cambridge, Southampton, East Carolina University and Florida State University. I’m glad Elle is joining the growing list of Transylvania students making an impact on the discipline.”