In case of an emergency use one of the red phones to connect you to DPS or call 233-8118.
Reporting an Emergency
When reporting an emergency, inform the 911/DPS dispatcher “THIS IS AN EMERGENCY” followed
- Your name;
- The building and room location of the emergency. Be sure to note what floor
- The nature of the emergency (fire, tornado, structural damage, weather-related, etc.);
- Whether injuries have occurred;
- Whether outside assistance has been called;
- Hazards present which may affect responding emergency personnel; A phone number at or
adjacent to the scene where you (or the Supervisor) can be reached.
*Note: all life-threatening emergencies should be reported directly to 911 while other incidents
should go through DPS.
Check the scene and person(s) involved; CALL- 911 or DPS @ 8118; CARE for person(s). AED & First
Aid supplies are available near the pool.
- Determine the safest escape route (Student Life Staff are available to assist you);
- Remain calm;
- Exit the building immediately and wait at the Back Circle or Corner of N. Broadway and 4th
- Wait for instructions. Do not re-enter the building until the Emergency Director announces
that it is safe to do so.
In the event of a tornado take cover immediately. If time allows move to the Restrooms on the 1st
Floor (Nearest 118) away from all windows and falling materials. Student Life Staff will be available
to assist you.
Suspicious Persons/ Hostile Individual
If you observe a suspicious person call DPS @ 8118 immediately with a description of the person
and their direction of travel. If a fight erupts call DPS @ 8118 immediately; attempt to separate
persons while avoiding harm to oneself; clear the area and remove all bystanders; attain IDs from
all witnesses and persons involved for reporting.
Emergency Contact Information
Department of Public Safety
Phone: (859) 233-8118 or Red Phone
DPS Text-a-Tip (859) 351-7343