Student Accounts

Have a question about making your tuition payments? Need more information about paying off student loans?

The friendly staff members in our office are eager to help you work through any concerns you have about managing your student account. In fact, the information provided below may answer many of your questions.

Your tuition bill is established once you have registered for classes. If you are eligible for financial aid, your aid will be credited to your account after you sign and return the financial aid award letter or accept your aid via TNet. Financial aid awards are typically available to accept in mid-March for first-year students and early June for returning students.

While enrolled at Transylvania, you will need to choose a tuition payment plan each year. Submit the payment options form via TNet by March 15 for returning students or June 1 for incoming students.

Releasing Student Information

Having trouble getting information about your student’s account?

Accounts established with the university belong to the student, and it is the student’s responsibility to ensure payments are made on time and the account is in good standing.

The information university officials can release about a student is restricted by federal law. This can sometimes be challenging for parents and family members if they do not fully understand these restrictions. Please read more below about the law and the steps your student can take to grant you access to information you may need or want.

Contact Us

Office hours:
8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays
Old Morrison, room 105

Phone: 859-233-8150
Fax: 859-281-3506

Mailing address:
Transylvania University
Accounting Office
300 North Broadway
Lexington, KY 40508

Meet Our Staff

Allison Current

Shawn Singleton


FERPA is a federal law (20 U.S.C. 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

Transylvania University’s full FERPA policy

FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children’s education records. These rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level. Students to whom the rights have transferred are “eligible students” with the following rights:

  • The right to inspect their education records.
  • The right to request an amendment to their records if the student believes the records are inaccurate.
  • The right to control disclosures of their records except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

In compliance with FERPA, Transylvania is prohibited from providing certain information from student records to a third party unless the student has released that information. This includes grades, billing, tuition and fees assessments, financial aid, and other student record information.


Transylvania University must have written permission from the student prior to releasing information on the student’s educational record (other than information defined as Directory Information under the university policy). Students, who grant access give university faculty and staff permission to release information—such as grades, billing, tuition and fees assessments, financial aid, and other student record information—to a third party.

Individuals authorized to access the information must know the student’s PIN number.

Students can access the FERPA Authorization Form and establish or change their PIN number at any time via TNet.

Making Payments

Transylvania accepts payments online via TNet or our virtual terminal. Using either method, you can pay by electronic check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express. TNet also accepts Visa. Refer to Making payments online for detailed instructions.

You can also stop by our offices on the first floor of Old Morrison to deliver a payment, or mail a check to:

Transylvania University
Accounting Office
300 North Broadway
Lexington, KY 40508

Payment Plans

While enrolled at Transylvania, you will need to choose a tuition payment plan each year. Submit the payment options form via TNet by March 15.

Paid-in-full Plan

All student accounts are payable in full on August 5 for fall term and January 5 for winter term, unless you opt for the 12-month payment plan.

12-month Plan

  • The net balance of each term’s charges is divided into six monthly installments, due on the fifth of each month.
  • Payments made from July 5 through December 5 cover fall term expenses.
  • Payments made from January 5 through June 5 cover winter term expenses.
  • A processing fee of .75% of the balance owed is charged per term.
  • You can remain enrolled in this plan as long as your account stays current and payments are made on time. Otherwise your account may be transferred to the pay-in-full plan, and your net balance will be due immediately.

Payment Due Dates


Paid-in-Full Plan—August 5

12-Month Plan—July 5, August 5, September 5, October 5, November 5, December 5


Paid-in-Full Plan—January 5

12-Month Plan—January 5, February 5, March 5, April 5, May 5, June 5

Tuition and Fees 2021-22

Schedule 2021-22
Full-time tuition$40,800
Level Tuition Plan (LTP) premium$1,000
General fee
(full-time students)
Tuition for 9th semester student teaching$1,000
Room and board:
Standard board rate$4,850
Standard room rate$6,400
Total standard room and board$11,250
Single room charge$3,000
Single room for HazelriggNot offered
Per person for Poole$6,400
Per person for Rosenthal$6,400
Per person for select houses$6,400
Per person for Thomson$7,300
Per person for new Dalton-Voigt, Bassett and Pioneer$7,300
Fourth Street Apartments – 1 bdNot offered
Fourth Street Apartments – 2 bdNot offered
Fourth Street Triplex$1,200/month
Meal plans:
19-meal/week plan$5,150/year
14-meal/week plan$4,850/year
10-meal/week plan$4,850/year
320-meal block (160 meals per term)$4,850/year
160-meal block (80 meals per term, limited to 4th street apartments, Upper Street houses and 331 N. Broadway residents)$2,425/year
Commuter (40-meal block plus $50 dining dollars)$625/block*
Commuter (60-meal block plus $50 dining dollars)$880/block*
*Commuter meal plans are charged per block. Multiple blocks may be purchased per year.
Part-time tuition:
Per unit$4,550
General fee per unit (part-time)$200
Overload fee per unit$4,550
May Term 2021
Tuition per unit$4,550
Room & Board$1,300
Summer 2021
Tuition per unit (Transylvania student)$1,250
Tuition per unit (non-Transylvania student)$1,500
Audit per course (Transylvania Student)$0
Audit per course (non-Transylvania Student)$50
Double per week$125
Single per week$250
Miscellaneous fees
New student enrollment deposit$350
Reservation fee upperclass$200
Student services deposit$250
12-month payment plan feeOne time enrollment fee of 0.75% of balance financed; per semester
Late registration fee$250
Audit fee per unit$50
Overload fee per course$4,550
Late payment fee1% of outstanding balance per month
Returned check fee$10
Applied music fee (Per applied music course fee policy)$180 for 1/2 hour lesson
Application fee for non-degree students$50
Tuition refund plan (optional) More information about the 2021-22 tuition refund plan$187

Compliance with Title 38 USC 3679


Section 103 of Public Law (PL) 115-407, ‘Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018,’ amends Title 38 US Code 3679 by adding a new subsection (e) that requires disapproval of courses of education, beginning August 1, 2019, at any educational institution that does not have a policy in place that will allow an individual to attend or participate in a course of education, pending VA payment, providing the individual submits a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under Chapter 31 or 33.

Pending Payment Compliance

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679(e), Transylvania University adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from VA.  Transylvania University will not:

  • Prevent the student’s enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to the student;
  • Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny the student access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Produce the VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) by the first day of class;
  • Provide a written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Past Due Accounts

Failure to make a payment when due automatically cancels the privilege of class attendance.

No diploma, certificate, transcript, term grade report, letter of honorable dismissal, or letter of recommendation will be granted to a student who is in debt to the university.

Students who have not honored their financial obligations to the university will not be permitted to enroll in the following term’s classes.

Bookstore Vouchers

If your student account has a credit balance—meaning the financial aid credited to your account exceeds your charges after all payments are made (including loans)—you can stop by the student accounting office to see about obtaining a voucher for purchasing books at the Transylvania University bookstore. 

Vouchers are available on the first day of class, or as soon as the the student’s account has a credit balance without pending aid.

Loan Repayment

More than 60 percent of Transylvania students accept federal loans to help fund their college educations. It’s a fact of life for many college students today. While repaying these loans can seem daunting, it is an obligation students and graduates must prepare to manage. We can help answer any questions you have about that process.

Keep in mind that you may prepay all or part of your federal student loan(s) at any time without a penalty.

After you have graduated, payment requirements depend on the type(s) of loans you have and your status. Are you enrolled in another institution of higher learning? Are you gainfully employed? You’ll need to stay in communication with your loan providers to ensure you meet all your obligations.


You can check the status of your loan(s) at any time. The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) is the U.S. Department of Education’s central database for student aid. From its website, students can view information about all of their Title IV loans and grants, including balances and loan servicers’ contact information, and complete exit counseling upon graduating or leaving the university.


Under certain circumstances, you may have all or part of your federal student loans forgiven or discharged. Contact your loan servicer for details.


Transylvania University is the lender for the Federal Perkins loan only. Transylvania University uses ECSI to send billings, process deferment/forbearance forms, and handle informational updates, such as name and address changes.

Upon leaving the university, students who have borrowed a Federal Perkins loan are required to complete loan counseling at

Federal Perkins loans have a 9-month grace period, which begins after leaving school or dropping below half-time attendance. Repayment begins when your grace period ends.

Deferment allows you to temporarily stop making payments on your federal student loans under certain conditions. You are not charged interest during a deferment.

If you are enrolled at least half time in a degree-granting program at an institution of higher education, contact ECSI at 1-800-549-3274 or go to to print a deferment form. 


Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans have a 6-month grace period, which begins after leaving school or dropping below half-time attendance. You must start making payments not more than 60 days after your grace period ends. Manage My Direct Loan

Upon leaving the university, students who have borrowed a Federal Direct loan are required to complete loan counseling at Click Exit Counseling to complete your loan counseling.

Subsidized loans: The government pays interest while you’re in school.

Unsubsidized loans: The interest accrues while you’re in school. 

You can temporarily postpone or lower your payments with a deferment or forbearance. Except for periods of Economic Hardship Deferment under the income-driven repayment plans, periods of deferment or forbearance do not count toward the maximum length of time you have to repay your federal student loans.

Deferment allows you to temporarily stop making payments on your federal student loans. 

  • You are not charged interest on Direct Subsidized Loans during deferment.
  • Interest will continue to be charged on your Direct Unsubsidized and Direct PLUS Loans. If you do not pay this interest during the deferment, it will be capitalized at the end of the deferment.

Forbearance allows you to temporarily stop making payments or reduce your monthly payment for up to 12 months.

  • Interest will continue to be charged.
  • If you do not pay this interest during the forbearance, it will be capitalized at the end of the forbearance.

For more information on deferment and forbearance conditions, contact your loan servicer.


The George L. Bagby Scholarship Loan and the Charles E. Schell Foundation Loan are both moral obligation, no interest loans. When the money loaned is repaid, it is loaned again, thus maintaining a constant source of help for other worthy students in financial need. The funds are to be used for essential educational expenses only. Upon leaving the university, students are asked to complete a proposed schedule of repayment.

Each year the student accounting services office sends notices to remind former students with these loans of outstanding balances and give them an opportunity to adjust their repayment schedule or sign up for automatic monthly payments. If you would like for Transylvania University to automatically deduct your monthly payment from your bank account, please complete and return the authorization form.

Tax Forms

W-2 Form

If you are a student employed by Transylvania, you can access your W-2 form 24/7 from Colleague Self Service. In order to do so, you will need to consent to receive your W-2 in electronic format.

How to consent to receive tax forms online.

  1. Log in to Colleague Self Service
  2. Click on Employee
  3. Click on Tax Information
  4. Click on the W-2 Statement link and download.

1098-T Form

You can elect to receive your 1098-T form electronically rather than having it printed and mailed to your home address.

  1. Log in to TNet.
  2. Select 1098 Electronic Consent.
  3. Select the option to receive your form electronically.
  4. Click Submit.