A holiday message from the interim president

As we approach the winter holiday break, I offer my thanks to the entire Transylvania community — students, faculty, staff and alumni — for a tremendous fall term. We have had a very busy time on campus with concerts, lectures, plays and athletic events, as well as several opportunities for our loyal alumni to return to campus. Some standout activities for me have been the First Engagements induction ceremony, Parents Weekend and the communitywide celebration of PumpkinMania, complete with custom‑carved pumpkins adorning the steps of Old Morrison. Your connection with the Transy community is truly inspiring.

Over the break, it is good to get away and take time to reflect on the many things that have taken place this fall — how we have changed, grown, been challenged and been resilient in the face of disappointment. Among my many readings this fall, I have come across a measurement of resilience established by Angela Duckworth known as the grit scale. I encourage you to take a look and learn about your own resilience, which is our campus theme this year.

Transylvania University is more than classrooms and assignments. We are a dynamic community which not only celebrates the individual, but also challenges us to be more and do more to strive for our full potential. As we return in the new year, Lucy and I look forward to more opportunities to participate in campus events and get to know you better. Have a safe and restful break.

Best wishes for the holidays.