Transylvania University is located 2 hours from Fort Knox and 4.5 hours for Fort Campbell, in the heart of Lexington, Ky. As a leader in the liberal arts, Transylvania has been home to more than 200 political figures, including two U.S. Vice Presidents, two U.S. Supreme Court justices, senators and representatives. Transylvania is a proud signer of the Yellow Ribbon Agreement, allowing for additional funds made available by the university for an unlimited number of veterans (or dependents) to pursue educational programs without an additional charge to your GI Bill® entitlement. Further, we honor veterans with priority registration for classes.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
Student Veterans and Dependents
All Transylvania University students are expected to maintain a grade-point-average of at least 2.0 (a “C” average) and to accumulate units of credit at a rate of 4.00 per year of attendance. Those who receive benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs who fall below this standard for two consecutive semesters must be reported, by the College, to the Department of Veterans Affairs. Transylvania University student veterans and dependents have typically taken advantage of Chapter 33, Chapter 33 Yellow Ribbon or Chapter 35 benefits. Click Here for a detailed comparison chart of VA education and training benefits.
Applications for Benefits
VA students can submit applications online at https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/vonapp. If students don’t have access to apply online they can call 1-888-442-4551 and ask that an application be mailed to them. All VA students must file an application when they first start school.
- Students who haven’t received VA benefits before must file an original application (Veterans VA Form 22-1990; dependents VA Form 22-5490; ToE students VA-Form 22-1990e)
- Students who have received VA benefits before must file a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (Veterans and ToE students VA Form 22-1995; dependents VA Form 22-5495)
- Students applying for Chapter 33 in lieu of (or relinquishing) another benefit should complete a VA Form 22-1990
Students are strongly encouraged to register and utilize eBenefits to assist them in the following:
- Obtaining up-to-date information on their educational entitlement
- Updating their Direct Deposit and personal contact information
- Downloading VA letters and personal documents
- Viewing the current status of their payments (both education and disability)
Students can register for either a Basic or Premium account, but must be enrolled in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) to obtain either account type.