A first-time college student is any student who has not been enrolled at a college or university. Students who have taken college-level or dual-credit courses while in high school are considered first-time students.
First-time college students should submit the following for admissions consideration:
To apply as a first-time student, choose one of the following application options. For help filling out the application, contact your admissions counselor.
If you are applying to more than one of the over 500 colleges and universities that use the Common Application, we recommend you complete the Common Application.
If you are mailing in a printed appilcation, send it to:
Office of Admissions
300 N. Broadway
Lexington, KY 40508
You should include with your application an essay providing the admissions committee insight into you and what you will bring to the Transylvania community. Please limit the essay to 1–2 typed, double-spaced pages.
To submit the essay:
a) If you apply using the Common Application, instructions are provided for uploading the essay file.
b) If you complete the Printable Application, submit the printed essay with the application form.
Official high school transcript
Your high school transcript is an important piece of the application. Follow the directions below to ensure Transylvania receives your transcript.
- If you apply using the Common Application, there are two ways to have this information sent to Transylvania University:
Upon receiving an email generated by the Common Application, your guidance counselor can follow the link to the Common Application website where there are instructions for uploading the information; or
Your guidance counselor can mail your transcript directly to the Transylvania Office of Admissions.
- If you have applied using the Printable Application, you will need to request your transcript be mailed directly to the Office of Admissions from your guidance counselor.
Official ACT and/or SAT scores
When you take the standardized test, please remember to send your scores to Transylvania.
Our codes are: ACT – 1550, SAT – 1808
Transylvania University considers both the ACT and SAT for admission and scholarship consideration. Score reports can be sent directly to the Office of Admissions from ACT and/or SAT. Scores appearing on official high school transcripts will also be accepted.
Transylvania has adopted a test-optional policy for the admissions and scholarship process. You can choose whether or not to submit your ACT or SAT test scores as a part of your application. Find out how to apply without submitting your scores.
Counselor evaluation and recommendation
Follow the directions below to ensure Transylvania receives the required information from your school guidance counselor.
- If you use the online Common Application, your high school guidance counselor can submit a recommendation via the Common Application system.
- If you have applied using the Printable Application, your counselor can complete the Counselor's Evaluation and Recommendation and mail it directly to the Office of Admissions.
Teacher’s evaluation and recommendation
- Follow the directions below to ensure Transylvania receives the required teacher’s evaluation.
- If you use the online Common Application, your teacher can submit a recommendation via the Common Application system.
- If you have applied using the Printable Application, your teacher can complete the Teacher's Evaluation and Recommendation and mail it directly to the Office of Admissions.
Official college transcripts (if applicable)
If you have taken college or university courses during high school, have an official copy of your final transcript forwarded to the Office of Admissions.