If art truly imitates life, recent Transylvania grad came to the right place

JD Lovell

It might be easier to ask 2020 graduate J.D. Lovell which fine arts programs he wasn’t involved in at Transylvania University. He was president of the Theatre Guild, worked in the Transy Theater costume shop as a work-study student, sang in the choir and played tuba in the concert and pep bands. On top of that, he double-majored in theater and accounting.

“That’s a challenging thing to do, but Transy allowed me to do it,” he says. “I don’t think I could have gone anywhere else and had that kind of personalized, one-on-one experience where they’re going to figure out exactly what I need to do and what classes I need to take to make it work.”

Lovell’s broad educational experience paired with intensive personal training makes him the epitome of what the liberal arts at Transy are all about. He knew that he wanted to earn a degree in accounting, but he didn’t want to sacrifice his passion for the arts, particularly the stage. Fortunately, he came to the right place.

“Theater is about imitating life — the best way to hone this art is by exposing yourself to many different kinds of people with many different skills,” he says. “Transylvania has done an exceptional job over the last four years making sure that we are staffed with some of the most talented people in the state and even the nation. I do not believe that I would have gotten this experience anywhere else.”

It’s one of the reasons Transy values the arts enough to offer courses, performance opportunities and even fine arts scholarships to students of any major. Art fosters creativity, empathy and an appreciation for beauty that make graduates uniquely prepared to succeed in an ever-shifting job market and in graduate schools that are constantly looking for students with the ability to make connections in their work. 

Transy is the perfect place for students to hone their creativity while getting an education that will guide them toward success in whatever field they choose. Apply today to join the Class of 2025, and find out what Pioneers are really made of.