IT will be rebooting servers at 5 p.m. Login and other services may be affected.
Call DPS at 859-351-7343 if needed.

Transylvania education helps senior leader grow as person, scholar

Taylor Mahlinger in Alumni Plaza

Q&A with Taylor Mahlinger ’20, who is editor-in-chief of The Rambler student newspaper — and majoring in writing, rhetoric, and communication and minoring in music performance

Where did you grow up and why did you choose Transy?

I grew up in Owensboro, Kentucky. I chose Transy because I loved the idea of a small campus in a big city that provided the same opportunities as a larger university.

Transy also offers a wide variety of majors and minors to choose from, and I felt like I could really tailor my college experience while still taking classes outside of my major as part of the liberal arts education.

How does having support from donors enable you to learn and grow as a scholar and as a person? What is the impact on you?

The support I have received from donors has enabled me to pursue my education and grow not only as a student but as a young adult by exploring the different opportunities and internships that Transy has to offer. The support has impacted me in so many positive ways, especially in the development of my leadership and communication skills.

Without donor support, I would not be here.

Why is a Transy education important to you?

I feel that Transy really prepares students for life after college, whether that is pursuing another degree in graduate school or a career. One of the most valuable skills I have learned while studying at Transy is proper communication. The small class sizes allow for student interaction with the faculty, which I think is vital in developing and building the skills needed for jobs in today’s world.

I feel confident joining the job search after graduation because of the knowledge and experience I have gained studying at Transy.

Co-curricular activities were important to you when you came to Transy. How have they helped you prepare for what you’d like to do after you graduate?

The wide variety of leadership positions I have held on campus and volunteer work with the Carnegie Center and “WoodSongs Old-Time Radio Hour” have helped me realize that I want to pursue a meaningful career that will have a positive impact on other people’s lives besides my own.

What would you like to say to donors who make your scholarship possible?

Through your generosity, I have been able to pursue higher education at a world-class university like Transylvania, which has given me a positive college experience and helped me grow as an educated young adult. Thank you so much for your continued support.

Learn more about The Transylvania Fund.