Transylvania Athletics is committed to providing a safe and competitive experience for our student-athletes while keeping their health and well-being at the forefront. We will be implementing strict safety protocols to ensure that our personal behaviors align for the common good — everything we do should be about “us” and not “me.”
Transylvania has collaborated with the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference and Lexington Clinic Sports Medicine team in developing a plan for practice, competition, travel, recruiting and other related collegiate athletic activities using the guidance from Healthy at Work, CDC recommendations and the National Collegiate Athletic Association.
Athletic schedules are being revised to accommodate the modular academic calendar. It is our intent to engage in as full a seasonal schedule as feasible within the recommendations of NCAA and HCAC.
The Transylvania Athletics COVID-19 plan website includes:
- Transylvania Athletics COVID-19 Plan
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Transy COVID-19 Pre-Screening Form
- Transy COVID-19 Positive Release Form
- Athletic Training Facility COVID-19 Guidelines
Return of Fall Sport Student-Athletes
- Fall sport student-athletes are encouraged to quarantine in their current residence fourteen days prior to arrival and have limited contact with only those in their household. Each team will have a two-hour window to arrive on campus. Students may bring only two individuals in their immediate household to assist with moving into their residence hall room. Their head coach will let them know when the exact window for arrival will be.
- Once they are on campus or moved into off-campus housing, there is an additional 48-hour quarantine period. During this time, student-athletes will meet with coaches, complete compliance paperwork and do required trainings, including education on individual and facility health hygiene practices related to the pandemic. After 48 hours, teams will begin practicing within the resocialization of sports guidelines.
Mitigation and Prevention Measures
- All student-athletes will be required to complete a daily self-assessment and temperature check through an online system before leaving the residence hall or off-campus housing to come to an athletic facility. Further assessment may also be required prior to entering an athletic facility or departing for an away competition.
- We will require face coverings in most spaces unless you are actively participating in your sport. We will practice physical distancing. Signage and facilities have been arranged to encourage distancing and health hygiene.
- Our cleaning and disinfecting protocols for all areas have been significantly enhanced using hospital-grade cleaners and frequent cleaning of high-touch surfaces to include athletic equipment.
- We will continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation and modify plans if needed to protect the health of our student-athletes, staff and community.
These plans are fluid and will change as the latest scientific knowledge evolves. In order to keep you updated on new information (e.g., for spectators at games), we will be sending regular email communications as well as hosting Zoom video calls for student-athletes.