A-Z Index  |  Site Map  

Student Life

A-Z Index  |  Site Map   icons Printer-friendly version Email this page

Residence Life Frequently Asked Questions

Perfect weather

Q. When can I see a residence hall room?

A. Room tours are offered during open house or by special appointment. You can make an appointment through the admissions office.

Q. When can upperclass students move into the halls for the fall term?

A. Upperclass students are permitted to move into the halls the Sunday before classes. The time prior to that is used for first-year student orientation. This allows first-year students to become more familiar with campus and meet fellow first-year students without the other three classes on campus.

Q. What size carpet should I bring for my room?

A. Most residence hall rooms can accommodate an area rug approximately 9 feet by 10 feet.

Q. What is the window size in case I want to bring curtains?

A. The standard window opening is 68 inches wide and 49 inches long, and all windows have venetian blinds.

Q. How much closet space and storage space is there in the room?

A. Each resident will have approximately three feet of hanging space for clothes and a dresser with either five small drawers or four medium ones, plus a closet cabinet space measuring about three feet by three feet. Some students use an under-the-bed storage box (no more than six to eight inches tall).

Q. What size mattresses come with the rooms?

A. The mattresses are extra long twin size (80 inches long by 36 inches wide). Regular-sized sheets will not fit, but extra long sheets are available at most bedding stores or department stores.

Q. What beds come with the rooms, and can I loft them?

A. Twin bunk beds are provided. Furniture is to be kept in the rooms and may not be replaced by homemade beds, lofts, or waterbeds. Lofting of beds is permitted in Thomson Hall and several houses with furniture designed to be lofted.

Moving in

Q. What are the meal plan options, and how do I choose or change my meal plan?

A. There are four options for on-campus student meal plans:a 10-meals a week, 14-meals a week, 19-meals a week and 160 meals per semester. Additionally, commuter students can purchase two meal plans: a block or 40 or 60 meals that can be used at any time during the year. Once you are given log-in credentials, you may choose your meal plan using TNet. You can change your meal plan option before the fall term by contacting the Office of Residence Life at (859) 233-8181.

Q. Can I control the temperature of my room?

A. Yes. Each room has an individually controlled air conditioning and heating unit.

Q. May I paint my room?

A. No, but many students decorate the walls with posters, photographs, etc.

Q. What computer facilities are available in the residence halls?

A. Computers for student use are located in Forrer, Hazelrigg, and Poole Halls. Wireless hotspots are available in Forrer and Thomson Halls, but some individual rooms do not currently have wireless Internet access. All residence hall rooms are wired for network connection. Academic Computing can help set up your system.

Q. I will begin school at Transylvania in the fall. When will I get my housing and roommate assignments?

A. Around the first week of July.

Q. What will I need to bring with me when I move in?

A. A list of suggested items to bring is available here.


Contact Us | Maps & Directions | Feedback | © 2003-2014 Transylvania University. All rights reserved.

Transylvania does not base employment or academic decisions on a person’s age, race, color, gender, disability or any other criteria prohibited by law. We are committed to providing equal opportunity in employment and education for all.