Service Animal/ESA

Service and Emotional Support Animals​

Transylvania University is committed to making reasonable modifications to its rules, policies, and practices as required by law to afford people with disabilities an equal opportunity to access its programs, services, and activities. For some students on campus, this means having a Service or an Emotional Support Animal.  

Service Animal

A Service Animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the person’s disability. Service Animals will be permitted to accompany people with disabilities in all areas of Transylvania’s facilities.

Students requiring the use of a service animal should contact the Coordinator of Disability Services to request a confidential meeting. Please read the TU Service/ESA Policy for more information on your rights and responsibilities.

Emotional Support Animal

An Emotional Support Animal is an animal that provides emotional or other support that ameliorates one or more identified symptoms or effects of a person’s disability. Unlike service animals, support animals are not required to be trained to perform work or tasks, and they include species other than dogs. According to the Fair Housing Act (FHA) a person with a documented disability is permitted to have an Emotional Support Animal in their individual dwelling when a professional health care provider has deemed it necessary for the individual’s emotional well being.

Students interested in registering for an ESA should read the Assistance Animal Policy for detailed information on ​the registration process and to become familiar with the rules and regulations regarding ESA’s on campus. Please note that any animal brought onto campus before proper approval has been granted will be subject to immediate removal and the student will be subject to fines.

Emotional Support Animal Registration and Documentation Requirements:

  • ​​Complete the ESA Application – Requests for ESA’s must be made 30 days prior to moving onto campus (see the Academic Calendar for move in dates).
  • Disability Services requires documentation from a licensed physician or mental health provider, including without limitation, a qualified psychiatrist, social worker, or other mental health professional in the form of a letter written on official letterhead and signed by the referring health care professional. Documentation letters must include the following information without exception: a.)That the individual qualifies as a person with a disability and the disability is clearly stated with an accompanying DSM code as well as a date of diagnosis. b.)That the emotional support animal may be necessary to afford the person with a disability an equal opportunity to use and enjoy University Housing (i.e., that the animal would provide emotional support or other assistance that would ameliorate effects of the disability). c.)The provider’s description of the service(s) that the animal will provide.