Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to be registered with Disability Services to receive academic accommodations?

  • If you wish to receive academic accommodations, you must submit relevant documentation and be approved by the Disability Services Office (see, How To Apply).

It has been more than four years since I have had a psycho educational evaluation. Can I still apply for academic accommodations?

  • The Coordinator of Disability Services will review documentation more than four years old on a case by case basis. 

Are academic accommodations automatically provided each semester once I apply with the Disability Services Office?

  • If you wish to use your academic accommodations, it will be your responsibility to share your official accommodations letter issued to you from the university with your professors each semester. Additionally, you will need to contact Disability Services to request note sharers and PDF versions of text books each semester as needed.

Are academic accommodations retroactive?

  • Academic accommodations are not retroactive, therefore it is highly recommended you share your official university accommodations letter with your professors at the beginning of each semester to avoid a delay in services. 

Who will have access to the documentation I submit to DSO?

  • Information collected from health care professionals will not be released outside of the Disability Services Office without a signed release from the student. Likewise, DSO will not speak with other health care professionals, coaches, friends, or your parents without your express written permission.  

Does DSO provide counseling services?

Are tutoring services available?

Is assistive technology available for students registered with DSO?

  • If using assistive technology has been suggested as a learning aid for students in their psycho educational evaluation, it is highly recommended they consider purchasing an aid for use at the post-secondary level. There are many different types of assistive technology aids that can be purchased to assist in note taking, reading text books, and writing essays. Interested students should contact their local Vocational Rehabilitation Office for more information about assistive technology.

Will my transcripts reflect use of academic or non-academic accommodations?

  • Your transcripts will not reflect the use of  any type of accommodation, nor will they indicate if you were registered with the Disability Services Office.

How long is documentation submitted to DSO kept on file?

  • DSO keeps all submitted documentation on file for one year after a student leaves the university.

How do I access documentation submitted to DSO?

  • If you wish to retrieve documentation you submitted to DSO for use at another university or organization, you must pick up the documentation in person. You must must present a valid picture I.D. and sign a Records Retrieval Release Form. DSO will not mail, fax, or email any information to an individual or organization. 

What do I do if I have reason to believe my access to accommodations has been denied?

  • Students who are not receiving the accommodations they are eligible for should first contact the Disability Services Office. If after mediation a student still has reason to believe they have been denied accommodations, they are encouraged to utilize the mechanisms in place to bring about a timely resolution. Please read the Grievance Process for further information.

Do all of the buildings on campus have accessible entrances?

  • All of the academic buildings as well as the four main residence halls have an accessible entrance.

Do the residence halls have accessible rooms?

  • There are a total of twelve rooms officially designated as accessible. 

Are Service and Emotional Support (Assistance) Animals allowed on campus?

  • Transylvania University is committed to making reasonable modifications to its rules, policies, and practices as required by law to afford people with disabilities an equal opportunity to access its programs, services, and activities. Please see the Service Animal/ESA page and the Assistance Animal Policy for further information.