Information for Veterans

Transylvania University is located 2 hours from Fort Knox and 4.5 hours for Fort Campbell, in the heart of Lexington, Ky. As a leader in the liberal arts, Transylvania has been home to more than 200 political figures, including two U.S. Vice Presidents, two U.S. Supreme Court justices, senators and representatives. Transylvania is a proud signer of the Yellow Ribbon Agreement, allowing for additional funds made available by the university for an unlimited number of veterans (or dependents) to pursue educational programs without an additional charge to your GI Bill® entitlement. Further, we honor veterans with priority registration for classes.  

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Student Veterans and Dependents

All Transylvania University students are expected to maintain a grade-point-average of at least 2.0 (a “C” average) and to accumulate units of credit at a rate of 4.00 per year of attendance. Those who receive benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs who fall below this standard for two consecutive semesters must be reported, by the College, to the Department of Veterans Affairs. Transylvania University student veterans and dependents have typically taken advantage of Chapter 33, Chapter 33 Yellow Ribbon or Chapter 35 benefits. Click Here for a detailed comparison chart of VA education and training benefits.  

Applications for Benefits

VA students can submit applications online at If students don’t have access to apply online they can call 1-888-442-4551 and ask that an application be mailed to them. All VA students must file an application when they first start school.

  • Students who haven’t received VA benefits before must file an original application (Veterans VA Form 22-1990; dependents VA Form 22-5490; ToE students VA-Form 22-1990e)
  • Students who have received VA benefits before must file a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (Veterans and ToE students VA Form 22-1995; dependents VA Form 22-5495)
  • Students applying for Chapter 33 in lieu of (or relinquishing) another benefit should complete a VA Form 22-1990


Students are strongly encouraged to register and utilize eBenefits to assist them in the following:

  • Obtaining up-to-date information on their educational entitlement
  • Updating their Direct Deposit and personal contact information
  • Downloading VA letters and personal documents
  • Viewing the current status of their payments (both education and disability)

Students can register for either a Basic or Premium account, but must be enrolled in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) to obtain either account type. 

Division III Athletics – Q & A

Is there an age limit to enroll in college and begin playing as a college student-athlete?

  • No. There is no age limit to enroll as a fulltime student and participate in college athletics.

When I enroll as a full-time college student, how many years can I play my sport?

  • NCAA Division III student-athletes have to complete their four seasons within their first 10 semesters or 15 quarters after enrolling full time. This is often referred to as the “10-Semester/15-Quarter Rule.”

Does my time spent in the armed services as active military duty personnel negatively impact my eligibility to play college sports?

  • No. Simply serving your country as active duty military personnel does not negatively impact your ability to participate in college sports. As long as you’re on active duty and not enrolled full time at a college, the “10-Semester/15-Quarter” rules don’t apply to you. Many times the phrase, “the eligibility clock is frozen” is used to describe this exception available to active duty military personnel.

Could enrolling in college and attending classes while I’m on active military duty negatively impact my eligibility to play college sports?

  • Yes, but only if you are enrolled as a full-time student. Any time you attend college full time while serving your active duty assignment, that time will count against your 10 semesters. Your clock is not frozen when you are enrolled full time, no matter where you are. But if you enroll in college part time while on active duty your clock remains frozen, so enrolling part time in college will not negatively impact your eligibility.

After transitioning out of active duty military service, how soon can I enroll as a fulltime student and begin competing in my sport?

  • You may enroll and begin participating in your sport immediately.

Non-Discrimination Policy

Transylvania University is committed to ensuring that the institution is free of harassment and discrimination on the basis of race, color, citizenship status, sex, age, disability, pregnancy, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, religion or religious belief or veteran’s status or any other category protected by applicable state or federal law or local ordinance. This policy applies to, but is not limited to, recruitment and admission of students, recruitment and employment of faculty and staff, the operation of any of its programs, promotion, demotion, transfer, position advertising, reduction in force, termination, rates of pay and selection for training. Consistent with this policy, the University does not tolerate discrimination or harassment of employees, students or other individuals associated with the University. In addition, the University prohibits unprofessional and discourteous actions that may affect a professional and congenial work environment. For this reason, derogatory racial, ethnic, religious, ageist, sexual or other inappropriate remarks, slurs or jokes will not be tolerated. This policy applies to all faculty, staff, administration, supervisors, employees, students, applicants, volunteers and visitors to campus, including guests, patrons, independent contractors, vendors or clients of Transylvania University.


VA helpline: 1 (800) 827-1000

Ashley King
Associate Registrar and Department of Veterans Affairs School Certifying Official 
(859) 233-8116

Christian Talley
Student Accounting Specialist 
(859) 233-8296