Becky Hochradel knows that businesses do not operate in a vacuum. “In business, one must work with many others with various backgrounds,” she notes. “A liberal arts education allows students to be exposed to a wide variety of disciplines, ideas, cultures and so forth that fosters the knowledge and understanding of others that is needed in the business world.”
All students can learn, and to encourage students to learn, one must be excited to incorporate learning and teaching as one entity and not separate entities.
Hochradel enjoys being part of that education process, and believes that Transylvania’s small classes, which offer opportunities for hands-on learning and individualized attention, give her students an advantage when they graduate and join the business world. Partnering directly with businesses for some of her courses, she particularly enjoys watching her students generate ideas for in-class projects that are then adopted by those businesses — a real-world learning application if ever there was one.
Hochradel also provides research opportunities for her students, discussing research ideas with them and working together to evaluate survey questions with regard to understanding and meaning. Students involved in these projects get direct experience in learning how to categorize, analyze and interpret data.
Outside of the classroom, Hochradel loves to travel and does so as often as she can. She also enjoys cooking and machine embroidery.
- Ph.D., Business Administration, Old Dominion University
- M.S., Health Professions, Leadership, Georgia State University
- B.S., Foods and Nutrition, University of Louisville
- R.D.N., American Dietetic Association
Courses Taught at Transy
- Marketing Strategies
- Marketing Research
- Consumer Behavior
- Personal Selling and Sales Management
- International Business
- International Marketing
- International Management
- Management and Organizational Behavior
- Human Resources Management
- Business Ethics
- Introduction to Business
- Marketing Management Association
- American Dietetics Association
- Kentucky Dietetic Association
Areas of Research and Specialization
- Consumer behavior, specializing in healthy behaviors
- S. E. Kossman Outstanding Teaching Award, 2015, Delta State University
- HEADWAE Outstanding Faculty 2014
Hochradel, R. and Z. Taran (2021). “Consumer Search for Nutrition Information when Eating in Restaurants.” Marketing Management Journal, 31(1).