Develop your skills
Transylvania’s Writing Center is a comfortable and inviting workspace where students, faculty and staff come together to talk about writing.
Our tutors are trained to help writers identify and tackle their own writing challenges. They provide suggestions, offer pertinent examples and put together supplemental exercises suited to each writer’s individual needs. They work hard to be respectful readers and listeners who help students direct and motivate themselves, set product goals and develop good writing habits.
The Center is staffed by writers who are willing to give time and attention to other writers—whether it be to ease fears in the planning phase of the writing, to locate information to support a thesis or to work through the nuts and bolts of citing secondary sources in a term paper.
300 North Broadway
Monday thru Friday: 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday: 8-10 p.m.
Learning Skills Program
Purpose & Goals
The Transylvania Learning Skills Program is available to all students to help them achieve academic success. Group and individual services will:
- Increase learning efficiency and effectiveness
- Adapt and apply learning strategies to current classes
- Become more active and “response-able” learners
- Improve problem-solving abilities and critical thinking skills
Academic Success Topics
- Assessing academic strengths and weaknesses
- Self-management skills (motivation, stress, concentration, attitude)
- Task management, organizational skills and procrastination
- Reading speed and comprehension
- Decoding the lecture and note-taking
- Test preparation and memory skills
- Test-taking skills and test anxiety
- Using academic resources
Learning Skills Services
- Individual academic coaching
- Master student class
- Memory strategies and mnemonic systems class
- Critical reading class
- Academic power presentation (A.P.P. Seminar Series)
- Outreach programs