This Registered National Historic Landmark was built in 1830–34 under the supervision of statesman Henry Clay, who taught law at Transylvania and was a member of the board of trustees. The building was designed by 29-year-old architect Gideon Shryock. During the Civil War, the building served as a hospital for Union troops.
Today Old Morrison houses the offices of the president and the academic deans; the computing center; administrative offices, including human resources, accounting, financial aid, communications, sustainability, and the registrar's office; a chapel; and the tomb of Transylvania's eccentric nineteenth-century naturalist, Constantine Rafinesque.
The building is featured on the city seal of Lexington. Each July, the city's patriotic concert draws upwards of 5,000 people to Old Morrison's lawn to hear the Lexington Philharmonic and the Lexington Singers perform.
If the walls of Old Morrison could talk, we'd never get them to stop.
Transylvania does not base employment or academic decisions on a person’s age, race, color, gender, disability or any other criteria prohibited by law. We are committed to providing equal opportunity in employment and education for all.