Home

A-Z Index  |  Site Map  

About Transylvania

A-Z Index  |  Site Map   icons Printer-friendly version Email this page

Transylvania Campus

Old Morrison, Administration Building

Old Morrison, Administration Building

This Registered National Historic Landmark was built in 1830–34 under the supervision of statesman Henry Clay, who taught law at Transylvania and was a member of the board of trustees. The building was designed by 29-year-old architect Gideon Shryock. During the Civil War, the building served as a hospital for Union troops.

Today Old Morrison houses the offices of the president and the academic deans; the computing center; administrative offices, including human resources, accounting, financial aid, communications, sustainability, and the registrar's office; a chapel; and the tomb of Transylvania's eccentric nineteenth-century naturalist, Constantine Rafinesque.

The building is featured on the city seal of Lexington. Each July, the city's patriotic concert draws upwards of 5,000 people to Old Morrison's lawn to hear the Lexington Philharmonic and the Lexington Singers perform.

If the walls of Old Morrison could talk, we'd never get them to stop.

»To list of buildings and facilities

Contact Us | Maps & Directions | Feedback | © 2003-2014 Transylvania University. All rights reserved.

Transylvania University admits students regardless of age, race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, national origin, or any other classification protected by federal or state law or local ordinance.