· Benefits of Attending College Outpace Rising Costs, Report Says (Chronicle of Higher Education, 10/5/12)
· How Liberal Arts Colleges Are Failing America (The Atlantic, 9/24/12)
· Supreme Court to Hear Case Brought by White Student Who Claims Race Cost Her Admission to UT- Austin (CBS News, 10/9/12)
· New Report Calls for Increased Board Oversight in Intercollegiate Athletics (Diverse Education, 10/9/12)
· Harvard Cheating Scandal: Can An Honor Code Prevent Cheating At Harvard? (Huffington Post, 8/31/12)
As the headlines above make clear, the issues and challenges facing higher education have changed dramatically since Transylvania’s founding in 1780. While Transylvania’s first trustees focused on building a campus in the wilderness and fending off attacks from Native Americans, today’s colleges and universities confront complex and divisive issues on a daily basis. Students in this section will learn to explore important higher education topics through multiple perspectives on their way to developing an individual research topic.