We’ve made the ultimate packing list, just for you!
Your room—The home away from home
- Twin Extra-Long Bedding. A regular twin comforter or quilt is long enough, but XL sheets are a must.
- Mattress pad—go from dorm bed to 5-star hotel bed just like that!
- Desk Lamp
- Small fan
- Laundry basket/bag/hamper
- Laundry supplies
- Extension cords and surge protectors
- Medium-size garbage bags
- Paper towels
- Cleaning wipes
- Small vacuum or broom
- Storage baskets/boxes, especially under-bed containers.
- Decorations—Transy has a poster sale at the beginning of the year, and Wal-Mart and Target are near by, so it isn’t necessary to bring too much on move-in day.
School supplies—Your favorite part of going back to school for the past 13 years
- Computer or laptop
- Index cards
- Post-it notes
- Weekly planner (trust us on this one)
- Pens, pencils and a container to hold them
- Permanent markers
- Loose-leaf paper
The essentials—You’re gonna need these
- Reusable water bottle
- Toothbrush, toothpaste and floss
- Medications (Ibuprofen, vitamins, decongestants, cold medicine, Neosporin, etc)
- Q-Tips/Cotton balls
- Hair products
- Nail clippers
- Shower caddy and shower supplies
- Shower shoes
- Towel wrap/robe
- Hand sanitizer
- Umbrella, raincoat and rain boots
- Quarters for laundry
Random items—Not necessary, but great to have around.
- Ziploc bags
- Dishes and utensils (microwave-safe)
- Dish soap and sponge
- Travel mug
- Coffee maker
- Chip clips
- Can opener
- Mini fridge (max. 3.2 cubic ft.)
- Microwave (max. 700 watts)
- Flash drive
- Cable for TV
- Gym/Overnight bag
- Extra bed sheets
- Full-length mirror
- Area rug
- Command strips
- Movies and board games
- Bicycle and sports equipment
What not to bring—We promise you won’t miss these things, except for your dog.
- Toaster, candles, indoor grills, microwave ovens, hot plates and space heaters.
- Your entire wardrobe. Here are a few packing tips:
#1: All those high school club and sport t-shirts? Put them in a pile, cut the pile in half, then imagine all the free Transy t-shirts you’re going to get and make some more room for those.
#2: Pack for the season—even though Kentucky can have all four seasons in one week. Bring just a handful of out-of-season wear so you are ready for days when Mother Nature's changes are unexpected.
#3: Bring one or two business outfits for interviews or presentations when you’ll need to dress to impress #OhYouFancyHuh?
#4: You may actually want a few of those crazy high school Spirit Week outfits. Halloween, '90s Night, Middle School Throwback Dance and Raf Week are taken very seriously.
- A printer. Almost every building has one!
- Animals, except fish. Sorry, Fluffy.
- Extra furniture—yet. Many Transy students bunk their beds to make room for futons or a chair, but we recommend getting settled on move-in day first. Supplied furniture cannot be removed from the room.
- Duplicates of what your roommate is bringing. Talk before move-in to avoid having 2 TVs, fridges and microwaves.
- Trash or recycling cans or desk chairs. Your room comes supplied with these.