Living on Campus

Your Residential Experience

Housing Options

Whether you live in a traditional residence hall, an apartment or one of our suite-style residences, living on campus can be a highlight of your college experience. Your residence halls are minutes away from classrooms and the library—not to mention great restaurants, coffee shops and night spots.

Transylvania’s housing options are below. After your first year, you can choose a residence hall based on your preference for double, single or suite-style living or your preferred activity level. See more about our residence halls.

  • Forrer Hall—Four-story building with first-year students. Floors are divided by gender.
  • Rosenthal Apartment Complex—42-unit apartment complex for male Greek students.
  • Poole Residence Center—Suite-style living for upperclass students.
  • Thomson Hall—Apartment-style living units for upperclass students, with several environmentally friendly features.
  • Hazelrigg Hall—Private rooms for upperclass students with 24-hour quiet time.
  • Dalton-Voigt Hall—Suite-style living for upperclass students.
  • Bassett Hall—Suite-style living for upperclass students.
  • Pioneer Hall—Suite-style living for upperclass students.
  • Fourth Street Apartments—45 one- and two-bedroom units for upperclass students.
  • 331 N Broadway House—4 two-bedroom apartments with kitchen and private bathroom.

All students are required to live on campus unless certain conditions are met. See the campus housing requirements for details.

Residence hall amenities

Life at Transylvania

Your residence hall room serves as an office, bedroom and living room, but there are other “living rooms” all over campus. From a cup of coffee at Jazzman’s to shooting pool in Back Lobby, you’ll find plenty of spaces you can turn into your own personal social spot.

Throughout the year you’ll find activities such as outdoor concerts and picnics, Transy Night Out trips to the historic Kentucky Theater or a Lexington Legends baseball game or day trips to hike, kayak and rock climb at the famous Red River Gorge. After all, there’s more to college than studying, right?

Living Off Campus

Commuter students are also encouraged to get involved in activities outside of the classroom. Make Transylvania your home away from home, and find out more about campus engagement opportunities.


Although you don't have to have a car on campus to get around, students may obtain a parking permit to park in any general parking lot on campus. Parking permits may be obtained at any time during the school year. For more information contact the Department of Public Safety at (859) 233-8118.

Meal Plans

Transylvania's dining service provides three meals a day in Forrer Dining Center for resident and commuter students, faculty and staff and campus visitors. Breakfast and lunch are also served in the Rafskeller Grill. In addition, students may put money on their Crimson Card that may be used in Forrer Dining Center, the Rafskeller and Jazzman's cafe.

Computer Labs

Computers for commuter student use are available 24 hours a day in Forrer, Hazelrigg and Poole Halls.


Laundry facilities are available in every residence hall. Wash Alert allows residents to see when machines are available using the internet and mobile app. Commuters can use laundry facilities in Forrer Hall. Machines cost $1.25 to wash or dry and accept coins and Crimson Cards.

Study Areas

There are a number of study areas on campus available to students including space in the library, campus dining facilities, the campus center, and some residence hall lobbies including Forrer, Thomson and Dalton-Voigt.​

Mail Service

Mailboxes for all residential students, Fourth Street Apartment residents, and commuters who request a campus mailbox, are located in Forrer Hall. Packages are distributed from the Post Office in Morrison.

Testimonial image

“The first time I stepped foot on campus I knew this was where I wanted to be. The fact that we’re in a bigger city—but there’s still such a sense of community here—is what I loved as soon as I got here."

- Timothy Baker '18

Residence Life Frequently Asked Questions

Q. When can I see a residence hall room?
A. Room tours are offered during open house or by special appointment. You can make an appointment through the admissions office.

Q. When can upperclass students move into the halls for the fall term?
A. Upperclass students are permitted to move into the halls the Sunday before classes. The time prior to that is used for August term.

Q. What size carpet should I bring for my room?
A. Most residence hall rooms can accommodate an area rug approximately 10 feet by 10 feet.

Q. What is the window size in case I want to bring curtains?
A. The standard window opening is 68 inches wide and 49 inches long, and all windows have venetian blinds.

Q. How much closet space and storage space is there in the room?
A. Each resident will have approximately three feet of hanging space for clothes and a dresser with either five small drawers or four medium ones, plus a closet cabinet space measuring about three feet by three feet. Some students use an under-the-bed storage box (no more than six to eight inches tall).

Q. What size mattresses come with the rooms?
A. The mattresses are extra long twin size (80 inches long by 36 inches wide). Regular-sized sheets will not fit, but extra long sheets are available at most bedding stores or department stores.

Q. What beds come with the rooms, and can I loft them?
A. Twin bunk beds are provided. Furniture is to be kept in the rooms and may not be replaced by homemade beds, lofts or waterbeds. Lofting of beds is permitted in Thomson Hall, Dalton-Voigt Hall and the Broadway house with furniture designed to be lofted.

Q. What are the meal plan options, and how do I choose or change my meal plan?
A. There are four options for on-campus student meal plans:a 10-meals a week, 14-meals a week, 19-meals a week and 160 meals per semester. Additionally, commuter students can purchase two meal plans: a block or 40 or 60 meals that can be used at any time during the semester. Once you are given log-in credentials, you may choose your meal plan using TNet. You can change your meal plan option before the fall term by contacting the Department of Residence Life and Housing at (859) 233-8181.

Q. Can I control the temperature of my room?
A. Yes. Each room has an individually controlled air conditioning and heating unit.

Q. May I paint my room?
A. No, but many students decorate the walls with posters, photographs, etc. The suggestions for decorating your room vary by building (depending on the wall composition).  A member of the Residence Life staff is happy to show you the best way to decorate your room.

Q. What computer facilities are available in the residence halls?
A. Computers for student use are located in Forrer, Poole, and Hazelrigg Halls, and print stations are available in Rosenthal, Thomson and Dalton-Voigt. All residence hall rooms have wireless and are wired for network connection. Academic Computing can help set up your system.

Q. I will begin school at Transylvania in the fall. When will I get my housing and roommate assignments?
A. These assignments will come to your Transylvania email account in mid-June.

Q. What will I need to bring with me when I move in?
A. A list of suggested items to bring is available here.