Frequently Asked Questions

What are Disability Services office hours?

  • Typically, DSO office hours are Monday-Friday 8:00am-2:00pm, but these hours are subject to change. After hours appointments are made upon request. Office hours are extended during mid-terms and final exams. DSO is closed during the summer and re-opens one week before fall term classes begin.

Do I have to be registered with Disability Services to receive academic accommodations?

  • If you wish to receive academic accommodations, you must submit relevant documentation and be approved by the Disability Services Office (see, How To Apply).

It has been more than four years since I have had a psycho educational evaluation. Can I still apply for academic accommodations?

  • The Coordinator of Disability Services will review documentation more than four years old on a case by case basis. 

Can I apply for academic accommodations if I am in the process of having a psycho educational evaluation performed?

  • In some cases you can be given Temporary Disability status. Please contact the Coordinator of Disability Services, Amber D. Morgan for more specific information. 

Are academic accommodations automatically provided each semester once I apply with the Disability Services Office?

Are academic accommodations retroactive?

  • Academic accommodations are not retroactive, therefore it is highly recommended you activate your academic accommodations by the deadline indicated each semester (see, Classroom Accommodations and Testing Center). 

Who will have access to the documentation I submit to DSO?

  • Information collected from health care professionals will not be released outside of the Disability Services Office without a signed release from the student. Likewise, DSO will not speak with other health care professionals, coaches, friends, or your parents without your express written permission.  

Will professors know what my specific medical and/or learning difference is?

  • DSO is not permitted to share your specific medical or academic diagnoses. Once you have activated your accommodations for the semester, your professors receive an email detailing only the accommodations you are eligible to receive.  If you choose, you can discuss your specific diagnoses with your professors and you can give written permission for the DSO Coordinator to speak with your professors about your specific diagnoses. 

Does DSO provide counseling services?

Are tutoring services available?

Is assistive technology available for students registered with DSO?

  • If using assistive technology has been suggested as a learning aid for students in their psycho educational evaluation, it is highly recommended they consider purchasing an aid for use at the post-secondary level. There are many different types of assistive technology aids that can be purchased to assist in note taking, reading text books, and writing essays. Interested students should contact their local Vocational Rehabilitation Office for more information about assistive technology.

Will my transcripts reflect use of academic or non-academic accommodations?

  • Your transcripts will not reflect the use of  any type of accommodation, nor will they indicate if you were registered with the Disability Services Office.

How long is documentation submitted to DSO kept on file?

  • DSO keeps all submitted documentation on file for seven years. 

How do I access documentation submitted to DSO?

  • If you wish to retrieve documentation you submitted to DSO for use at another university or organization, you must pick up the documentation in person. You must must present a valid picture I.D. and sign a Records Retrieval Release Form. DSO will not mail, fax, or email any information to an individual or organization. 

What happens to confidential information submitted during the summer months?

  • Documentation submitted during the summer months will be kept in a locked filing cabinet in the Academic Dean's office. All information received during the summer will be processed in August. Once documentation has been processed, registered students (not parents) will receive an email  at their TU email address from the DSO Coordinator. 

What do I do if I have reason to believe my access to accommodations has been denied? 

  • Students who are not receiving the accommodations they are eligible for and have requested through the Disability Services Office, should first contact the Coordinator of Disability Services, Amber D. Morgan. If after mediation a student still has reason to believe they have been denied accommodations, they are encouraged to utilize the mechanisms in place to bring about a timely resolution. Please read the Grievance Process for further information.

Do all of the buildings on campus have accessible entrances?

  • All of the academic buildings as well as the four main residence halls have an accessible entrance.

Do the residence halls have accessible rooms?

  • There are a total of twelve rooms officially designated as accessible. 

Are Service and Emotional Support (Assistance) Animals allowed on campus?

  • Transylvania University is committed to making reasonable modifications to its rules, policies, and practices as required by law to afford people with disabilities an equal opportunity to access its programs, services, and activities. Please see the Service Animal/ESA page and the TU Service/ESA Policy for further information.