Following one year at Transylvania University, a student with sophomore standing—and ready to declare a major—is eligible to complete a formal application and submit it to the Teacher Education Program. The student must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and disposition to become a teacher candidate.
Please review the criteria for program admission below. After teacher candidates are admitted to the program, they must maintain a 2.75 GPA in their education courses and their major courses. Teacher candidates also complete a four-week Practicum in their junior year and a semester-long student teaching experience in their senior year.
Review the Student Teaching Handbook for more information about this important requirement of our program.
Criteria for program admission
Minimum college GPA:
- 2.75 GPA cumulative
- 2.75 GPA education courses
- 2.75 GPA major/teaching area
Minimum Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators scores:
- Reading: 156
- Math: 150
- Writing: 162
- Formal entrance essay with application
- Interview with at least two education faculty members
- Informal essay at time of admissions interview
- Demonstration of critical thinking, communication, creativity, and collaboration skills
- Understanding of the disposition needed for the teaching profession
- Agreement to abide by the Professional Code of Ethics and knowledge of the character and fitness questionnaire contained in Section III of the TC-1 form (supplied by the program)
Criteria for certification
Upon satisfactory completion of all education and general education course requirements, with a minimum 2.75 GPA, candidates must also satisfy the following requirements in order to be recommended to the state of Kentucky for certification:
- Pass Student Teaching and receive a passing score on the Teacher Work Sample
- Pass Practicum and receive a passing score on the Practicum Folder of tasks
- Pass a review of the Program Portfolio
- Achieve the minimum passing scores on the required PRAXIS exam(s). (These differ for each certification.)